Music fans across South Africa have been talking about it for months and now it’s finally here! The Superbalist in the City Music weekend kicks off this Friday and promises to be this year’s hottest event.
What I’m most excited for is the fact that the beach is coming to downtown Jozi on 8 October 2016 for the Braam Beach Party as Superbalist and Virgin Mobile bring the sand and sun to the city set against the sounds of the best in hip-hop, rap and house.
Supporting the best in local talent, for the first time ever, Superbalist In The City is expanding the festival to a three-day weekend takeover, now including a sizzling urban event in the heart of the city. Bringing the heat will be SA’s top urban acts.
- Taking to the stage will be the ‘Baddest’; award-winning hip hop icon AKA, who has won numerous Metro FM, SAMA and Channel O awards and performed at the BET experience this June in the U.S where he was nominated in the category Best African Act – for two years in a row.
- Riky Rick needs little introduction. An accomplished rapper, actor, writer, composer and record producer, he released his first studio album Family Values in 2015 and is signed to his own independent label and record company, Makhado Makhado Agency.
- A veteran in his own right, UK producer Atjazz has been performing for over 20 years and is a master at pulling crowds. He has also been a prolific remixer throughout his career remixing and reworking works for artists such as Nitin Sawhney, Bob Sinclar, Jazzanova, Zed Bias & Omar to name but a few.
- DJ Tira, is the owner of the hit making Durban based independent record label – Afrotainment. He performs as DJ Tira locally and has hit the stages internationally too.
- Boasting an exciting eight years and counting, (my favourite DJ) p.H is known for his impressive versatility and energetic stage presence and is arguably one of the countries finest entertainers.
- Stilo Magolide’s music is packed with catchy beats and makes your head bob. Apart from his incredible music, Stilo broke social media last year when #PoseLikeStilo went viral, with fans all over Instagram and Twitter sharing his now famous pose.
- Riding the hype of his latest track “Hell of a Life”, DJ Capital will hit the stage at the #BraamBeachParty. This Hip-Hop Awards nominee has crowds across the country jumping and has opened for loads of international acts.
- Taking inspiration from soul, Latin and kwaito before discovering house music at the age of eight, Jullian Gomes has been making waves since his first gig in 2010. Already a SAMA nominee at just 23, Jullian has performed extensively and remixed for artists like Black Coffee, The Layabouts and British Soul legend Omar.
- Shekhinah is a talented songwriter and performer and reached the Top 32 of MNET’s SA Idols in 2011, finishing in the top 6 of MNET’s Season 8 of SA Idols in 2012. She takes inspriation from SA artists like Lira, Mi Casa and Danny K.
- Another one of the reasons I’m excited for the beach party is the fact that more people will be introduced to another one of my faves; Melo B Jones. She’s a soul songstress based in Johannesburg. Formerly known as TuMi, her love of jazz makes her well rehearsed in creating an atmosphere that will keep audiences reeling.
The fact that the event sponsors will be transforming Braamfontein into a tropical paradise, complete with beach sand, palm trees (and what they say is the best mobile connection in town) should give you an idea of what to wear. But if you need a little inspiration, check out the Superbalist website.
You can get your The Superbalist in the City Music weekend tickets and Braam Beach Party tickets by clicking here.
Friday 7 October: Superbalist In The City AND Liftoff
Venue: AND Club, 39A Gwi Gwi Mrwebi Street, Newtown, Johannesburg.
Genre: Electro, deep house and techno.
Featuring: The UK’s Eats Everything and a host of SA’s top electronic artists.
Launch Ticket Price: R120.
Saturday 8 October: Superbalist in the City presents the Virgin Mobile #BraamBeachParty
Venue: Juta Street, Braamfontein, will be transformed into a tropical beach paradise.
Genre: The best hip-hop, house and urban beats.
Ticket Price: R150.
Featuring: AKA, PH, Tira, Riky Rick, UU DJ, Stilo Mag, At Jazz, DJ Capital, Julian Gomes, Shekhinah and Melo B.
Sunday 9 October: Superbalist In The City Concert
Venue: A glorious daytime outdoor concert at Emmarentia Dam, Johannesburg.
Featuring: Foster the People, Mac Miller, Beardyman and other acts still to be announced.
Launch Ticket Price: R495.
*You can choose to buy the tickets for the events that you want or you can experience the entire festival with a full Superbalist In The City Weekend launch ticket for only R700.
*Launch tickets are limited.
Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @mediagirl_za